KAGAN SHASTRI LLP. gets results for our municipal law and development clients through hard work and an in-depth understanding of the complex field of municipal law. Staying on top of the ever changing land use approval process is essential to giving our clients the best chance for success.
KAGAN SHASTRI LLP. is consistently ranked in the top 5 municipal law firm in the Greater Toronto Area by Novae Res Urbis. This reputation is hard-earned every year as each year’s ranking is based on the firm’s work over the past 12 months.
KAGAN SHASTRI LLP. has extensive experience representing both public and private sector clients in areas of Municipal, Land Use Planning, Expropriation, Environmental, Litigation and Real Estate Law.
Our client’s goals are our goals. We work harder than others to achieve the best results, as quickly as possible, at the lowest cost but always with integrity so that our representation reflects positively booth our client’s and our own reputation.
The municipal law section is comprised of three lawyers, offering our clients a range of experience and expertise. This allows the client and the firm to tailor the legal services best suited to the situation.
Ira T. Kagan, Founding Partner, has been practicing municipal law since 1990. In 2017 he was included
in the 2018 Lexpert®/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada. His clients are many of the best known and most active developers in Ontario. He is fortunate to often being involved in some of the leading development cases in Ontario.
Paul De Melo, Partner, has been practicing municipal law since 1995. Well respected by all sides, his client base is balanced between developers and the public sector.
The firm has demonstrated experience in the following areas:
1. All aspects of the land use and development process including Official Plans and Zoning By-laws (including applications to amend same), Plans of Subdivision, Minor Variances, Severances, Site Plan, Development Permits;
2. Development Charges, Section 37 bonusing and Parkland Dedication;
4. Drafting of a wide range of agreements required as part of the land use approval process;
5. Mediation and negotiations to avoid otherwise costly and lengthy disputes at the Ontario Municipal Board and the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal;
6. Leading full cases at the Ontario Municipal Board, the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal and all levels of court in Ontario.