At KAGAN SHASTRI our commitment and our reputation as one of the GTA’s leading Municipal and Land Use Planning Law firms has been built on our success in working for our clients. Our experience in representing a wide range of both public and private sector clients in matters of Municipal, Land Use Planning, Expropriation, Environmental, Litigation and Real Estate Law allows us to bring a unique perspective and understanding to the table. We understand that the ultimate goal of our clients is to find the best solutions to their issues in the quickest and most cost-effective manner. We strive to bring our experience, understanding and dedication to achieve a resolution that works for our clients.
The firm, and in particular Ira Kagan and Paul DeMelo have established an expertise in all aspects of Municipal and Planning Law. In relation to the City’s identified needs with respect to the Five-year review of its Official Plan, both Ira Kagan and Paul DeMelo have demonstrated expertise and experience in the following areas:
1. In depth knowledge of an experience with the Planning Act, Provincial Policy Statement, Places to Grow Act, Ontario Municipal Board Act, including other related statutes, having represented a number of other municipalities, both local and regional on matters related to their Official Plans;
2. Extensive knowledge of current planning issues in the City of Toronto – both Ira Kagan and Paul DeMelo have worked extensively on planning applications in the City of Toronto and have worked closely with City staff in the past to resolve those matters;
3. Extensive experience in a variety of planning cases at the Ontario Municipal Board, in particular those involving general land use policy implementation and specific appeals dealing with the Growth Plan for the Golden Horsehoe– both Ira Kagan and Paul DeMelo have worked both for the public sector (including municipalities and conservation authorities) as well as private sector clients on matter related to land use policy implementaion and have appeared extensively before the Ontario Municipal Board on such matters;
4. Specific experience in drafting and reviewing official plan instruments – as noted both Ira Kagan and Paul DeMelo have worked closely with other municipal clients in the drafting, implementation and defence of official plan instruments;
5. Experience in negotiating settlements – while we are no stranger to the Ontario Municipal Board and the hearing process, it is our firm belief that our client’s interest are not fully served if we do not pursue the options which may be available for settlement and to that end have worked extensively on resolving planning applications matters through a negotiated settlement where the interests of our client are protected and best served;
6. Experience in judicial review applications – both Ira Kagan and Paul DeMelo have been involved in several application for judicial review, involving various municipalities and a broad range of issues from development charge appeals to review of decisions of the Ontario Municipal Board.